Friday, January 27, 2012

Green monsters

This is a post that is NOT about my kids...how long has it been since that happened?! If you are like me and are obsessed with blogs like Iowa Girl Eats, Pinterest, and/or my personal favorite, foodgawker, then you have likely heard about green monsters. They are a current breakfast favorite in my home. Basically, the concept is incorporating spinach into a typical fruit smoothie. I normally don't like smoothies for breakfast because they aren't that filling, but green monsters made with yogurt are a real meal. They turn this insane bright green color that just exudes nutrition to me! Since I am working hard at losing weight, they are also a great option that can come in under 300 calories and tide me over until lunchtime. Bonus: Quinn loves them! She's not a picky eater, but I love that she can get some extra nutrition from the spinach and other ingredients. She declared this morning's green monster "very good." :-)

source
We have made several varieties so far. This has been my favorite.

6 oz. fat-free vanilla yogurt. Greek yogurt would be a good boost of protein here, too!
1 orange or 2-3 clementines, peeled and segmented
1/2 cup pineapple (I used canned crushed pinapple in 100% juice)
2 big handfuls spinach
Milk or orange juice if desired
Sweetener to taste (I use Splenda and vanilla extract)
1 cup ice
Combine all ingredients in blender and pulse!

I have also done one apple, a tablespoon of peanut butter, spinach, and milk. I don't like bananas but they would be a great addition to any green monster! I'd like to try carrots, too! You really cannot taste the spinach at all.

Happy Friday! I will be back soon with some updates on my sweet kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment