Friday, July 8, 2011

One of those days..

I was on Facebook earlier today, and I commented on how Quinn was having "one of those days." It started out fine enough, with breakfast and a few garage sales, but she would NOT be satisfied all morning. We tried playing upstairs, downstairs, on the steps, in the the front yard, the back yard, you get the picture, and she was just unhappy. TV was the only thing that would satisfy her, and you can imagine how much this teacher mama loves that....

It was just a morning of lots of tripping and falling, "no mama," and shrugging off my attempts to hold her hand or soothe her. However, we had a quick lunch and down for her nap she went. Three hours (!!) later, a new child woke up. We had the best late afternoon! We went to the pool where she played nicely with some big kids and I got to chat to some moms, one of whom boosted my ego by asking me for tips on avoiding stretch marks during pregnancies, and we stayed for well over an hour. We got home, jumped in the tub, and Daddy surprised us by coming home early! It was a perfect night for Casey's pizza and caramel corn, reading books in the a.c., and going "night-night" early. I think back to how frustrated I was today and how nothing I could do would make Quinn happy, and I laugh at myself. I am so lucky and blessed to have her! Of course she gets tired of the same old toys and snacks and Mama; who wouldn't?

The other day I wrote about how Quinn and I couldn't go to the pool because a boy had nearly drowned. Later, that boy died from complications from his injuries. He was only 5 years old, swimming with some extended family. I can't help but wonder what was going through his mom's head when she got the call that her little boy had been hurt, and how hard she must have prayed at his bedside through that night, wondering if he would make it. Such a tragedy.

As I write, I can hear Quinn rustling in her crib and feel Baby K. moving in my belly. I have such a healthy, happy family, and I could not love them any more.


Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Psalm 16:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment